All women at some time in their life will experience some hormone imbalance. Unfortunately, we are surrounded by a multitude of environmental pollutions which is toxins that disrupts our endocrine system. Xenoestrogens are environmental toxins, a synthetic chemical that acts like estrogen in our body, which can lead to estrogen dominance.
Estrogen refers to a family of hormones that include estrone, estradiol, and estriol which are primarily responsible for the female reproductive processes and the women's curvy hips, thighs, and breasts. Estrogen is produced in the body for growth and development and xenoestrogens are environmental toxins, both are estrogen. But too much estrogen in the body can increase estrogen levels and cause a hormonal imbalance in the body. We are exposed to these xenoestrogens every day. The endocrine system releases hormones that influence almost every cell, organ, and function of our body. It regulates your mood, growth and development, metabolism, and sexual function, along with other functions. Xenoestrogens are endocrine disruptors, which are found in plastic containers (BPA), cosmetics (Phthalates), shampoos (Parabens), lotions, soap, artificial foods additives including artificial sweeteners and MSG, these toxins cause disturbances to our hormone function. Xenoestrogens are one of the primary causes of estrogen dominance also polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), fibroids, ovarian cysts, PMS, menstrual bleeding, breast, prostate, and ovarian cancer. Estrogen dominance is when there is excessive estrogen in the body and not enough progesterone to counteract the estrogen. Progesterone is a hormone that has a critical role to oppose estrogen by helping the body break down estrogen and remove it from the body. When progesterone production is suppressed by environmental estrogen the effects of estrogen dominance become a problem. Estrogen is hormones that stimulate the growth of hormonal sensitive cells. High levels of estrogen can cause cancers of hormonal sensitive tissue such as the lining of the uterus, cervical, and the breast. Below is a list of more information on the causes and symptoms of estrogen dominance and how to rid your body of xenoestrogens.
CAUSE OF ESTROGEN DOMINANCE
1. Xenoestrogens (Environmental estrogens) are found in food additive (Phenosulfothiazine - a red dye), it leaks into our water that has been stored in plastic bottles (polyethylene terephthalate) and also in consumer products such as detergents, lotions, cosmetics (methylparaben, ethylparaben, and propylparaben) and household products (Alkylphenol). Environmental pollutions are also toxins in the air that interfere with our hormones which are the synthetic chemical that acts like estrogen in our body and we are exposed to them daily.
2. Stress (which strains the adrenals and the thyroid).
3. Birth control pills
4. Sluggish metabolism (slows down the estrogen-detoxification process in the liver).
5. Negative lifestyle factors (such as smoking, and alcohol use along with poor diet).
6. Synthetic estrogens (hormone replacement therapy) (HRT).
Symptoms Associated with Estrogen Dominance in Women
2. Mood swings
3. Heavy periods
4. Breast tenderness
5. Weight gain
6. Digestive issues
7. Menstrual cramps w/dark red clots
8. Low libido
9. Sluggish metabolism
11.Insomnia (lack of sleep)
14.Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
How to rid your body of Xenoestrogens
Detox your body
1. Buy organic vegetables
2. Eat free-range fish and poultry
3. Avoid processed foods
4. Drink out of glass, if you must use plastic, do not heat them, or leave them in the sun.
5. Try to use as few chemicals as possible and use products made with natural ingredients.
Now that you have learned what estrogen dominance is and how to rid your body of xenoestrogen, start making new lifestyle changes. If you are experiencing some of the above symptoms, it may be time to visit your Physician.